Friday 9 September 2016

Representation

Jack Kaye from The Magic Gang

Representation refers to the construction of "reality" within the mass media. There are seven areas of representation: gender, age, sexuality, ethnicity, social class, regional identity and physical ability/disability.


UK Tribes

I partook in a questionnaire by UK Tribes, in which the aim is to "Find Your Tribe". I discovered that I fit into the 'scenester' and 'maker' tribe: the 'scenester' apparently has "their finger on the pulse when it comes to culture", which I partially agree with as I like to think that I'm somewhat individual when it comes to music and style, so I guess this archetype fits with my personality. People in the 'maker' tribe are considered to be creative and enjoy hobbies like photography. I don't think that I'm an extremely creative person, however I enjoy photography and I'm interested in art/design.

Figures in the media 

There are certain figures in the media who influence my character and the way I present myself. This could be through the way I dress, or the music I listen to, and even the views/opinions I have. I seem to remember watching a music video by the band RAT BOY and immediately thinking that I wanted to be as "cool" as them: influenced by skate and street culture with ear/nose piercings and rolled up trousers. The piercings never happened but I began to roll up any trousers I wore and started to tuck my t shirts in. Now, I think, I have realised that I'll never be on the same plane of coolness - but I like to believe that I dress cool-ish. I also remember seeing a band live (The Magic Gang) and noticing that the lead singer (Jack) wore glasses like me, yet was at least 1000X cooler than myself. The entire outfit of the band featured baggy sort-sleeve shirts tucked into woollen blend trousers and I instantly wanted to look like that - I just kind of fell in love with that aesthetic. Now my choice of clothing isn't just dictated by bands I like or people I see in the media, but just things I like and enjoy. I don't worry too much about what other people might think; which is a message that I think I've learned from bands like RAT BOY and The Magic Gang, as they aren't afraid to wear what they want. I admit that I own a pair of wool blend trousers and I often roll my jeans up, but I've no longer become fixated on looking/dressing like a certain band I enjoy listening to.


No comments:

Post a Comment